Hudson Valley Demolition Alert
Fishkill's Jackson House was demolished on
December 3, 2013, following an executive meeting of the Village Board of
Trustees the night before at which the Building Inspector and Mayor James
Miccio declared the house to be "unsafe." Village taxpayer funds
were used to demolish the house, which is privately owned by Jackson
Crossing, LLC. The Jackson House was thought to date to 1741, with later
additions. The house was first listed on the Demolition Alert on February
An application was presented earlier this month
to demolish the c. 1871 New York Central "Hudson Upper" Station
of the Central's Albany and Boston line. Mountainview Construction presented
the application in conjunction with Van Kleeck Tires, the owner of the
building. Mountainview wants to salvage and sell the brick; Van Kleeck
wants more parking space. The City of Hudson Historic Preservation Commission deemed the
application to be incomplete.
This summer Curry Chevrolet remodeled its c. 1957
steel-and-glass showroom and car canopy on Central Park Avenue in
Scarsdale. Lost in the renovation project was a collection of neon signs
– SERVICE (yellow), CURRY (red), CHEVROLET (blue), and USED CARS (red)
– which were fabricated by the Albee Sign Company of Mount Vernon. It
was with great shock and seemingly unnecessary action that the signs were
lost, as they were icons of Central Avenue and of the dealership and not
known to be endangered.
Following the demolition of Paul Clark's House
and Tavern, a previously unknown feature was revealed during excavation of
the property. It may have been a cistern with a charcoal filter for
purifying water. If interested parties were allowed to examine the
building before demolition and the site during excavation, the history of
the property would be better understood. Thanks to John Wolcott for the
updates. More information about Paul Clark's House and Tavern may be read
at the Albany
Times-Union. Photograph by Roger Gray.
The abandoned Yonkers Teutonia and adjacent
structures are undergoing demolition. The annex to the north and the
automobile repair shop to the south have been demolished already. The Teutonia
should be demolished next week. The c. 1891-92 Queen-Anne style building
was home to a German literary and singing association. The Teutonia will
not be renovated, as the developer and news media have erroneously
reported. Instead it will be demolished and replaced with a 24-story,
360-unit residential tower. Photograph courtesy of Tim
From John Wolcott I received the news that the Tandoor Palace restaurant on Lark Street in Albany was demolished on Friday August 2, 2013. The restaurant was located within the first floor brick walls of the Paul Clark’s house and tavern, built ca. 1798. Doctor Yusef Dincer owns the site of the Paul Clark house and is responsible for its demolition. With architect Scott Townsend, Dincer plans a new building of three stories with apartments, offices and a restaurant on the site of the Paul Clark house and tavern.
Photograph courtesy of Andy Arthur.
St. Patrick's Church in Watervliet
has been largely demolished. As of May 10, only it's bell tower remained
as it physically withstood several efforts to be pulled down.
A January 2013 fire believed to be
of accidental original seriously damaged the Second Reformed Church in
Philmont (Columbia County). The church, built in 1838 and later enlarged,
was subsequently demolished.
Central Hudson Gas and Electric demolished their iconic Horton Sphere on the Poughkeepsie waterfront. The large globe held gas for home heating. It was located almost beneath the Poughkeepsie Railroad bridge (Walkway Over the Hudson), visible in Tom Rinaldi's photograph shown above.
to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2013.html#horton
The Jackson House at 64 Jackson
Street (bing aerial), Fishkill, NY is threatened with demolition for a
multiple-unit mixed-use complex. The oldest part of the house, which has
been expanded many times, is thought to date to ca. 1741 when the property
belonged to Johannes Swart. Judge Joseph Jackson purchased the house in
1808. Jackson, the first lawyer in Fishkill Village, was a Dutchess County
legislator 1821-1822, and county judge 1840-1856. Jackson died in 1863,
and by 1867 the house was enlarged. Mid-nineteenth century photos show
that the house was altered in Picturesque Gothic and Italianate styles
with tall dormers and a tower. The building was also the Colonial Inn for
a time. It was most recently occupied by offices of the Mid-Hudson Medical
Group. The house is a contributing element to the Fishkill Village
National Register Historic District. Local preservationists are concerned
over recent erosion of the integrity of the Historic District by
demolition and commercial development. The developer, Jackson Crossing LLC,
is in the process of filing a request with the Village of Fishkill for a
Three historic neon signs were removed
from the c. 1954 Bridge Plaza shopping center in Tarrytown during a winter
renovation of the storefronts. In late 2012 a CVS opened in the former
First National/Stop and Shop store, Subsequently the entire frieze and
cornice of the plaza was renovated to be consistent with the design of the
CVS store. During this time the signs for the liquor store, Three-hour
cleaners, and the Tarrytown Delicatessen were removed. The neon sign for
the Tappan Zee Stationery store was reinstalled.
The Starlite Theater, a
theater-in-the-round, was demolished in December 2012. Located outside of
Albany, NY, the Starlite operated under various names from 1957 to 1997 and
hosted many top musical and entertainment performers. According to the
Business Review, the 58-acre site will be redeveloped into residential, commercial
and office space by the Galesi Group.
The Catholic Diocese sold this ca.
1891 brick Gothic revival church to a development company that plans to
build a Price Chopper on the site. The highly-contested sale was formally
approved by a court judge in December 2012. Neighbors who wish that the
church be preserved have filed a lawsuit against the Watervliet City
Council on the charge that city and state laws were violated during the
rezoning process. During this planning period the church building has been stripped
of various architectural details and finishes. Also to be demolished are
an adjacent rectory, school, and several rowhouses.