Hudson Valley Demolition Alert
the Hudson Valley region undergoes its most massive physical
transformation since Urban Renewal, we are losing historic sites at an
alarming pace. Call it suburbanization, sprawl,
whatever you like. We are losing the places that gave the Hudson Valley
its identity in the first place.
St. Patrick's Church in Watervliet
has been largely demolished. As of May 10, only it's bell tower remained
as it physically withstood several efforts to be pulled down.
A January 2013 fire believed to be
of accidental original seriously damaged the Second Reformed Church in
Philmont (Columbia County). The church, built in 1838 and later enlarged,
was subsequently demolished.
Central Hudson Gas and Electric demolished their iconic Horton Sphere on the Poughkeepsie waterfront. The large globe held gas for home heating. It was located almost beneath the Poughkeepsie Railroad bridge (Walkway Over the Hudson), visible in Tom Rinaldi's photograph shown above.
to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2013.html#horton
The Jackson House at 64 Jackson
Street (bing aerial),
Fishkill, NY is threatened with demolition for a multiple-unit mixed-use
complex. The oldest part of the house, which has been expanded many times,
is thought to date to ca. 1741 when the property belonged to Johannes
Swart. Judge Joseph Jackson purchased the house in 1808. Jackson, the
first lawyer in Fishkill Village, was a Dutchess County legislator
1821-1822, and county judge 1840-1856. Jackson died in 1863, and by 1867
the house was enlarged. Mid-nineteenth century photos show that the house
was altered in Picturesque Gothic and Italianate styles with tall dormers
and a tower. The building was also the Colonial Inn for a time. It was
most recently occupied by offices of the Mid-Hudson Medical Group. The
house is a contributing element to the Fishkill Village National Register
Historic District. Local preservationists are concerned over recent
erosion of the integrity of the Historic District by demolition and
commercial development. The developer, Jackson Crossing LLC, is in the
process of filing a request with the Village of Fishkill for a demolition
Three historic neon signs were removed
from the c. 1954 Bridge Plaza shopping center in Tarrytown during a winter
renovation of the storefronts. In late 2012 a CVS opened in the former
First National/Stop and Shop store, Subsequently the entire frieze and
cornice of the plaza was renovated to be consistent with the design of the
CVS store. During this time the signs for the liquor store, Three-hour
cleaners, and the Tarrytown Delicatessen were removed. The neon sign for
the Tappan Zee Stationery store was reinstalled.
The Starlite Theater, a
theater-in-the-round, was demolished in December 2012. Located outside of
Albany, NY, the Starlite operated under various names from 1957 to 1997 and
hosted many top musical and entertainment performers. According to the
Business Review, the 58-acre site will be redeveloped into residential, commercial
and office space by the Galesi Group.
The Catholic Diocese sold this ca.
1891 brick Gothic revival church to a development company that plans to
build a Price Chopper on the site. The highly-contested sale was formally
approved by a court judge in December 2012. Neighbors who wish that the
church be preserved have filed a lawsuit against the Watervliet City
Council on the charge that city and state laws were violated during the
rezoning process. During this planning period the church building has been stripped
of various architectural details and finishes. Also to be demolished are
an adjacent rectory, school, and several rowhouses.
Hudson Valley Demolition Alert 2012
Bella Vista / Elk's Club, Ossining; Brandreth Pill factory, Ossining; Lebanon Springs
Union Free School, New Lebanon; 19 Livingston Avenue, Dobbs Ferry;
19th-century brick mansion, Verplanck; Middle Hope Drive-In Theater, Middle
Hope; New York Central-Putnam Division Railroad Station, Millwood; Rock Hill
Lodge / Holland Sporting Club, Mohegan Lake; Kospa Farmhouse, East Greenbush;
Matteawan Manufacturing Company, Beacon; Nelson House Hotel, Poughkeepsie;
Fresh Air Home, Tomkins Cove; Knapp House, Yorktown; Nathan's Hot Dogs,
Yonkers; Teaberry Port, West Nyack; Public School 6, Yonkers; Clovelea,
Valley Demolition Alert 2011
Brick Tavern, Claverack; Dutchess County Alms House, Poughkeepsie;
Rensselaer and Saratoga Railroad Shop, Green Island; Memorial Field, Mount
Vernon; Malloy's Pharmacy, Stony Point; Texaco Research Laboratory, Beacon;
Strang-Melbourne House, Yorktown; New York Central-Putnam Railroad Station,
Millwood; Meads Mountain House, Woodstock; Tioronda Hat Works, Beacon;
Demolition Alert 2010
Tuxedo Electric Light Co. Power Station, Tuxedo; 12-14 North Astor Street,
Irvington; Bannerman's Island Arsenal, Fishkill; Anaconda Wire and Cable Company,
Hasting-on-Hudson; Hudson River Knitting Mill, Hudson; Hamlet of Newton Hook,
Stuyvesant; Hudson River State Hospital, Pougheepsie; Historic Village Hall,
Tarrytown; Dutton Lumberyard, Poughkeepsie; Malloy's Pharmacy, Stony Point;
Halcyon Hall, Millbrook; Freeman House, Port Ewen; John Green House, Nyack;
Teaberry Port, West Nyack; St. Peter's Elementary School, Kingston; Public Bath
Number 4, Yonkers.
Demolition Alert 2009
Stauffer chemical factory, Dobbs Ferry; Memorial Field, Mount Vernon; Hotel
Wellington, Albany; Carvel Ice Cream Bakery, Hartsdale; James Thompson Mill,
Valley Falls; 284 Main Street, Poughkeepsie; Heritage Park Stadium, Colonie;
Proctor's Theater, Troy.
Demolition Alert 2008
Centennial Hose Company firehouse, Peekskill; Warburton Avenue Block, Yonkers;
Masonic Lodge, Yonkers; Fort Slocum/David's Island, New Rochelle; Kedem
Winery, Milton; The Lancaster, Hastings-on-Hudson; Storms Tavern, Valley
Cottage; Powell and Minnock Brickyard, Coeymans; Rensselaer Iron Works, Troy;
Vineyard Avenue Fire Station, Yonkers; Yonkers Health Center, Yonkers; Trinity
Methodist Episcopal Church, Poughkeepsie; Carvel Ice Cream Bakery, Hartsdale;
Lovett Generating Station, Tomkins Cove.
Hudson Valley Demolition Alert 2007
Red Apple Rest, Tuxedo; Browning-Green Mansion, Tarrytown; Erie Railroad
Station, Harriman; Chester Hide and Skin, Chester; Woodlands Lake Restaurant,
Irvington; Lafayette Paper Company, New Windsor; Hudson River State Hospital,
Poughkeepsie; 67 North Broadway, Yonkers; Goodhue Memorial Hall (Hackley
School), Tarrytown; Carvel Ice Cream bakery, Hartsdale; Annie's Snack Shack,
Stony Point, Dennings Point Brick Works, Beacon; Terwilliger's Grist Mill,
Saugerties; Theall-McCollum (Croton Magnetic) Mine, Brewster; Putnam and Mellor
Engine and Hose Companies, Port Chester; Halcyon Hall update, Millbrook.
Hudson Valley Demolition Alert 2006
Stokes-Greene Mansion, Cortlandt; Habirshaw Wire Company, Yonkers; New
York Rubber factory, Beacon; County Asphalt plant, Tarrytown; Waterfront
industrial buildings, Ossining; Storms Tavern, Valley Cottage; Henry Gourdine's
fishing shed, Ossining; Grandview School, Catskill; first Carvel Ice Cream stand,
Hartsdale; Continental Army Encampment and Supply Depot, Fishkill; Tioronda
Bridge, Beacon; North Highlands Methodist Episcopal Church, Philisptown.
Demolition Alert 2005
Tioronda Bridge, Beacon; Vineyard Avenue Fire Station #2, Yonkers; Public
School 6, Yonkers; Sedgwick Machine, Poughkeepsie; Yonkers Power Station,
Yonkers; Rockland Drive-In Theatre, Monsey; Halcyon Hall, Millbrook;
Farmhouse, Tarrytown; Nelson House, Poughkeepsie.
Hudson Valley Demolition Alert July - December, 2004
Forst Meat Packing, Kingston; Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research,
Yonkers; Trolley Barn, Kingston; Kimlin Cider Mill, Poughkeepsie; Fort
Hudson Valley Demolition Alert February - June, 2004
Tappan Zee Playhouse, Nyack; Hutton Brickyard, Kingston; Smith-Robinson
House, Ossining; Anaconda Wire and Cable, Hastings-on-Hudson; Garner
Bleachery, Wappingers Falls; Elks Club (Carpenter Mansion), Ossining;
Campbell House, Mount Pleasant; Grandview School, Catskill.
This page and all photographs copyright © 2013 by Robert J. Yasinsac and Thomas E. Rinaldi.
Reproduction of text and/or photographs without permission of the authors is prohibited.