Hudson Valley Demolition Alert
October 15, 2014
The abandoned Yonkers Teutonia and adjacent
structures were demolished by early September 2014. The c. 1891-92 Queen-Anne style
building was home to a German literary and singing association. The
Teutonia was not renovated, as the developer
and news media have erroneously
reported would occur. Instead it was demolished and will replaced with a 24-story,
360-unit residential tower.
small red building that served as St. James Chapel beginning in 1864 has
been demolished/dismantled. Whether the building material is being
preserved with the intention of reconstruction is not yet known to us.
News that the owner wished to "give away" the building was reported
in May 2014 by the Putnam County News and Recorder. According
to the website for St.
Philip's Church in the Highlands, the present-day St. Philip's
Church was built on the site of an earlier church building. "Itís
thought that the pews and other material from the church were moved"
to the new building south of "downtown" Garrison (Putnam
was announced recently that Castleton Paperboard will purchase the Fort
Orange Paper Company mill. Castleton Paperboard will demolish the Fort
Orange mill and in its place construct a recycling facility. Fort Orange
Paper operated here from about 1856 until 2002. In 2010-11, the mill's
former owner, Jan Exeman/Vanderhorst Properties, demolished
a portion of the factory, including the stone building shown
here, for scrap value.
The Millbrook Tribute Garden Foundation and
Thorndale Farm LLC, recently purchased from Bennett Acquisitions LLC
property of the former Bennett School For Girls. Announced with news of
the sale of the property was that Halcyon Hall, built in 1893 as a hotel,
will be demolished.
New owners of an historic mansion in Garrison
have, through renovations, essentially destroyed the c. 1864 Italianate
home built for Samuel Sloan, President of the Hudson River Rail Road.
Historic details such as the entire paneled oak library, mantelpieces,
bathroom fixtures, doors, windows, and shutters, and by appearances, most
all other interior finishes, have been removed from the house. Its
west-facing tower also appears to have been removed or significantly
altered. The estate more recently went by the name Lisburne Grange. It was
listed on the National
Register of Historic Places in 1982 as a component of the Hudson Highlands
Multiple Resource Area.
The historic "Blue Store" in Livingston
(Columbia County) burned on March 15, 2014. I held off posting this
initially to determine the extant of the fire damage. Contrary to many
misleading newspaper articles, much of the building remained standing, and
was still standing as of mid-April. It then remains to be seen if the Blue
Store will be demolished or rebuilt.
A demolition permit has been filed for the c.
1752 Abram Lent House in Orangetown. Two years ago recommendations were
made to the builder of a Stop & Shop to minimize
adverse effects of its proposed location near the Lent House. It will
be unfortunate if demolition, the most adverse effect possible to a house, is actually
approved. The sandstone construction is typical of colonial house in Rockland
County; its broad gables and extended eave are somewhat unusual.
The house appears on Plate 53 in Rosalie Fellows Bailey's book Pre-Revolutionary
Dutch Houses and Families in Northern New Jersey and Southern New York.
Thank you to Mary Cardenas of the Orangetown Historical Society for the