Hudson Valley Demolition Alert
December 24, 2006
North Highlands Methodist
This church at Davenports Corners (outside
Cold Spring) in Philipstown, Putnam County, was demolished on December 4, 2006
as part of a road widening project.
December 13, 2006
The Tioronda Bridge was dismantled in
early December. The planned demolition was first reported in the 2005
Demolition Alert. Apparently, the piers will be restored and the trusses
will be replaced when a new roadway is installed for limited vehicular access. Photograph
courtesy of John Fasulo.
Fishkill Encampment and Supply Depot:
Also in Dutchess County, a Revolutionary War site listed on the National Register of Historic Places is threatened by commercial development. The Fishkill Encampment and Supply Depot was occupied by the New York State and Continental United States armies from 1776 to 1783. According to the Fishkill Historical Focus, the Supply Depot "was a small city which included extensive barracks, a guard house and palisade, a prison, major hospital, artillery placements, and a powder magazine which supplied all Northern Patriot forces . Today, the only maintained structure is the Van Wyck Homestead, a farmhouse which served as a headquarters for military operations." Despite its significance, the site has not yet been properly studied by military archaeologists. The Supply Depot property is threatened by commercial development on land east of Route 9, jeopardizing the archaeological and historical record of what remains of the encampment.
Various articles have appeared in the Poughkeepsie Journal, most recently: "Fishkill Depot: Shopping area once supplied, housed fledgling army." The Poughkeepsie Journal, December 13, 2006. By Lauren Giordano.
December 12, 2006
Letchworth Village, Thiells, NY:
Stewart Hall, one of the buildings at Letchworth Village planned for reuse for a condominium development, burned on December 6, 2006. It appears that demolition of the remaining structures may begin in early 2007.
"Fire guts building at Letchworth Village; video." The Journal News, December 7, 2006. By Sarah Netter.
October 31, 2006
Carvel Ice Cream Bakery,
America's first Carvel ice cream stand may
soon fall to the wrecking ball. The metal and glass building with forward
leaning facade opened for business in 1936 (on the site of the pottery store in
which Tom Carvel first sold ice cream) and has been in continuous operation
since. The Yonkers-based Thomas and Agnes Carvel Foundation sold the stand and
1.45 acres this past September to the current store managers for 3.5 million
dollars. The new owners plan to raze the Central Avenue icon of roadside
Americana and build three stores on the site. According to Carvel's
website, Tom Carvel began selling ice cream at this spot in 1934 when his
delivery truck broke down (thus providing his inspiration for soft serve ice
cream); he opened the new Carvel store on the same location two years later.
UPDATE: November 11, 2006
A subsequent Journal news article was more optimistic for the (at least immediate) future of the Carvel store. The new owner, Abdol Faghihi, was quoted as saying he would like the store to remain open, but his decision will be determined by the success of attracting other business to his property.
"Sale of Lot Could Mean Last Stand for First Carvel." The New York Times, October 27, 2006, by Erin Duggan.
"Owner of original Carvel store in Hartsdale struggles to stay open." The Journal News, November 1, 2005. By Rebecca Baker Erwin.
"First Carvel Store Sold to Developers." Preservation Online, November 1, 2006. By Margaret Foster.
October 16, 2006
The Grandview School in Catskill, NY, was
demolished during the week ending October 13, 2006. The 1896 building served the
Catskill school system through 2002, when a new elementary school opened. After
that point the Grandview School sat vacant. Widewaters Properties acquired
the building for one million dollars in June 2006, after several years of
planning. The company plans to build a drugstore (likely a Walgreens) on the
site; it will be Catskill's seventh drug store, and third in a one-block radius.
Shortly after the Grandview School was demolished, it was announced that Walgreen's is no longer certain to build on the property.
"110 years of school history reduced to pile of rubble." The Daily Freeman, October 15, 2006, by Ariel Zangla.
"Catskill seeks alternative tenant for Grandview School site." The Daily Freeman, December 31, 2006, by Ariel Zangla.
July 16, 2006
Dugan's, Dobbs Ferry, NY:
We have received emails stating that Dugan's along the Saw Mill River Parkway has been demolished.
May 16, 2006
Alf Evers's House, Shady, NY:
The Woodstock Times recently reported that the home of the late great Hudson Valley author Alf Evers was largely destroyed when a new owner enlarged the house. The Hutchin Hill Road cottage, once part of the Vosburgh Mill, was Evers's home for 51 years, during which time he authored voluminous books about the Catskill Mountains, the village of Woodstock, and more recently, the city of Kingston. Evers's estate sold the house to cover a Medicaid lien, and the new owner, a neighbor, erected a modern luxury house in its place.
April 14, 2006
This humble wooden shed, like the more majestic
ruins on this website, was witness to a once-ubiquitous way of life along the
Hudson now practiced by few. Ossining fisherman Henry Gourdine used the shanty,
built in 1927, to store two handmade boats and various equipment. The New
York Times and the Journal News recently memorialized the shed in two
articles. The land it stands on is owned by the village of Ossining but will be
turned over to a private developer who will construct riverfront condominiums. Some
local residents contend the parcel was intended to be public parkland and thus
should not be developed. The property includes a handful of industrial buildings
that will also be torn down (see Demolition Alert March 4, 2006). Henry Gourdine's fishing shed will be demolished by the Ossining public works
department on Monday April 17, 2006.
"End of the line for fishing shanty in Ossining." The Journal News, April 11, 2006 by Robert Marchant.
UPDATE APRIL 26, 2006:
Local residents were able to obtain a restraining order prohibiting demolition of the fishing shed until the case can be resolved in court. Thus the shed is still standing.
UPDATE: Henry Gourdine's fishing shed was demolished into a heap of fractured boards on May 16, days after developer Martin Ginsburg promised the shed would be "dismantled and numbered," not demolished.
In other news, the County Asphalt plant in Tarrytown (see February 2, 2006) has been dismantled.
March 4, 2006
The rock quarry company Tilcon recently
purchased an 18th century home uphill from its operations in central Rockland
County. It appears the Storms Tavern was recently inhabited and looks
to be in good condition from cursory exterior examination but Tilcon took the steps of
cutting off gas and electricity to the house, which it may demolish. A
company spokesperson stated that the house is "uninhabitable" and
"infeasible to refurbish." The house, believed to have been
built in 1765, is a Town of Clarkstown historic site and review by a town board
is necessary for a demolition permit.
"Homeowners worry that a historic home could be demolished." The Journal News, January 26, 2006 by Jennifer Weil.
A long anticipated groundbreaking at the
Ossining waterfront occurred on February 28, 2006. Developers Martin
Ginsburg and Louis Cappelli plan to construct an eighty-foot tall building
consisting of 150 residential units and 10,000
square feet of retail space on a former industrial site on the Hudson River.
Three buildings will be demolished to make way for the project, including one
identified on its facade as the Meredith & Hitchcock Storage Transportation
Warehouse. Village officials celebrate the advancement of this plan, although
some residents contest the transfer of public parkland to private
interests without necessary approval at the State-government level.
"Harbor Square work begins." The Journal News, March 1, 2006, by Robert Marchant.
February 2, 2006
The County Asphalt plant in Tarrytown is
being relocated to Mount Vernon as part of the ongoing effort to remove
industrial operations or redevelop former industrial sites along the Hudson
River. The plant, which has existed in its current location since 1924, may be
gone as early as March of this year. Called "an ugly remnant of the
riverfront's industrial past" by a Tarrytown village official, County
Asphalt will eventually be replaced by 238 townhouse-style residential units
known as "Ferry Landings." At a nearby site, another condominium
complex is being built by Ginsburg Development Corporation, while larger-scale
plans still stir for the former General Motors property in Sleepy Hollow.
"Waterfront Development pushes ahead," The Hudson Independent, February 2006 by Kim Gaudin de Gonzalez.
"Asphalt plant to be dismantled and moved," River Journal, January 2006 by Robert Bonvento.
January 8, 2006
New York Rubber,
Belatedly, we bring the news that fire on
August 11, 2005 destroyed the New York Rubber mill on the Fishkill Creek in
Beacon. Subsequently, the entire brick building, one of the last great Hudson
Valley mills, was demolished. In 1858, New York Rubber began operations in a
cotton mill built seventeen years earlier. The last active occupant of the site,
Tuck Tape, ceased manufacturing in 1989. Plans in the early 2000s appeared to
call for adaptive reuse of the building as senior citizen residential units, but
the developer, Advantage Capital Partners, Inc., changed plans in 2005 to build new, high-end luxury apartments,
which will rent for as high as $3,000 per month. In typical ironic fashion,
Advantage Capital has chosen the name "The Haven
at Beacon Mills" for the proposed complex.
More New York Rubber:
Fire Photo - Images of the August 11, 2005 fire.
Habirhsaw Wire Company,
Demolition of the Habirshaw Wire Company
buildings near Glenwood, in Yonkers, is nearing completion. From 1915 to 1930,
Habirshaw produced paper-insulated, lead-jacketed cables. Phelps Dodge continued
the Habirhsaw operations from 1930 to 1984, when the factory was sold to Cablec,
which later became BICC Cables Corp. More recently Miramax and Robert DeNiro
owned the site and planned to create a movie studio, but the partnership sold
the 18-acre property in February 2005 to Homes for America, a residential
development firm. It appears that at least one building, the EPRI Laboratory
building constructed ca. 1968 for cable testing, will remain standing for the
January 1, 2006
The Stokes-Greene mansion burned in a
midnight fire, December 30, 2005 into December 31. Westchester County has
owned the house since 1991, during which time the former home of Shirley Stokes
and Bob Greene has been vacant. According to the Journal News, police investigators
said an accelerant was found in the ruins, which led them to believe the fire
was deliberately set.
Source Article: "Cortlandt mansion burns." By Keith Eddings, The Journal News. January 1, 2006.
Hudson Valley Ruins
E-mail Rob Yasinsac
Email Tom Rinaldi
This page and all photographs copyright © 2004 by Robert J. Yasinsac and Thomas E. Rinaldi. These photographs are posted for private, non-commercial viewing purposes only. All other uses prohibited. All rights reserved.
This page first posted to the internet on February 24, 2004.