Hudson Valley Demolition Alert
November 17, 2007
Putnam and Mellor Engine and Hose Companies Firehouse,
The Queen Anne-style Putnam and Mellor Engine
and Hose Companies Firehouse (also known as the South Main Street Firehouse) was
demolished today. The firehouse was built in 1888 and used until 1995 when
a rockslide from the Metro North-New Haven railroad line caused the back wall of
the firehouse to collapse. The building was soon stabilized but left vacant and
later leased to G & S Investors, the developers who have been given carte
blanch to rebuild downtown Port Chester. G & S took no further steps to to
maintain the firehouse, and tore down the building to make way for new
November 5, 2007
Theall & McCollum
The largely intact 19th-century iron works at the Theall & McCollum mine in Brewster (Putnam County) were recently destroyed. Making way for probable residential development were the ore storage bins/separators built in 1902 by Thomas Edison's New York Concentrating Works (shown above), the mill site foundations, World War II-era dynamite sheds, and two intact pieces of 19th-century mining equipment - a steam engine and an ore crusher. The mine shaft and adit were also filled in (killing off thousands of bats in the process). According to some who have studied the site, it was possibly the best-preserved mining site east of the Hudson River in New York and extending into Connecticut.
More Theall & McCollum Mine:
Hudson Valley Ruins --
IronMiners.Com Forum -- Another thread at IronMiners.Com Forum
Northeast Mine Explorers --
Site history on this blog , with more history in the blog comments --
A 91-home subdivision planned
for the remaining 28-acre campus of the Bennett School for Girls in Millbrook
awaits village approval. The village planning board must decide first if the
plan, eight single-family homes and 83 duplex units, requires an environmental
impact statement. If the board finds there is no impact, then the developer,
David Blumenthal of Blumenthal Brickman Associates can proceed. Halcyon Hall
would be demolished under the plan.
UPDATE NOVEMBER 5, 2007: The developer now has a website with this illustration showing future plans for Halcyon Hall. The development proposal can be read here.
September 25, 2007
Terwilliger's Grist Mill
Grist Mill, located adjacent to Saugerties' Seamon Park, collapsed at the
end of July. The present building was reconstructed in the 1970s. Never
completed, it was allowed to decay. As recently as June 2007, the
Saugerties Village Board of Trustees voted against funding further
renovation and repair work, despite dire warnings that structural failure
September 13, 2007
Dennings Point Brick
One of the original structures of the Dennings Point Brick Works in Beacon was recently demolished. Built in 1881 as a blacksmith's or machine shop, it was one of the very few brickyard buildings still standing in the entire Hudson Valley at the beginning of the 21st century. The future of this long abandoned and partially ruined structure was recently starting to look bright; in 2003 Dennings Point was selected as the site for the Beacon Institute for Rivers and Estuaries. Another brickyard building has been undergoing reconstruction for the new research center and work will eventually continue with the adaptive reuse of at least one more structure, a building later occupied by a paper clip factory and a building materials factory.
More Dennings Point Brick Works:
Hudson Valley Ruins - Tom Rinaldi's page.
BrickCollecting.com - Don Bayley's page.
August 11, 2007
Annie's Snack Shack
One of the last original 1950s roadside
eateries in the Hudson Valley will serve meals for the last time on Wednesday
August 15, 2007. Annie's Snack Shack on Route 9W in Stony Point, with open window service, outdoor seating
and an indoor dining room, opened in 1951 and will be demolished and replaced by
a CVS and a bank, no doubt bearing the look of generic corporate architecture.
If you visit, be sure to head down the road and get some ice cream at Hoyer's in
Haverstraw, another gem of an old-fashioned family-owned stand, which is still
going strong these days.
"After 56 years, Annie shuts door on Snack Shack." - The Journal News, August 11, 2007, by Akiko Matsuda.
August 4, 2007
Carvel Ice Cream Bakery
The first Carvel site in America is one
step closer to demolition. Owner Abdol Faghihi has partnered with Joe Shao
of Fuji Mountain Restaurant and applied to demolish the 1950s ice cream stand,
built on the spot of the original 1930s-building erected by Tom Carvel, and
replace it with a Japanese steakhouse. Roark
Capital Group, which owns the Carvel brand, gives franchise owners the right
to close stores, but customer
complaints to Roark regarding the pending demolition
may prove influential.
"Hartsdale birthplace of Carvel brand may close" - The Journal News, August 1, 2007, by Nicole Neroulias.
Goodhue Memorial Hall,
Fire believed to have been caused by a lighting strike on the morning of August 4 destroyed the Goodhue Memorial Hall (Library) on the Hackley School's Tarrytown hilltop site. Goodhue Hall, built 1902-03, was completely gutted by the blaze. Contrary to an earlier report by the Journal News, the headmasters residence and the chapel were not damaged by the blaze. The firm of Wheelwright and Haven, a distinguished firm from Boston, MA, designed the early buildings on the Tarrytown campus in what could be called Tudor Renaissance style.
More Photographs: Hudson
Valley Ruins - Hackley School Fire
Source Article: "Lightning strike sparks fire at Tarrytown's Hackley School, destroys library" - The Journal News, August 4, 2007, by Rebecca Baker.
67 North Broadway
The City of Yonkers demolished one of the
oldest commercial buildings in the City of Hills last week. Thought to have been
constructed between 1840 and 1855, the brick building at 67 North Broadway had
been vacant since 2002 and was determined to be structurally deficient by the
Yonkers Building Inspector, due to cracks and bowing in the brick walls. The
City took the initiative to tear down the structure after the owner could not
arrange for immediate demolition.
Source Article: "Yonkers razing dangerous building." - The Journal News, July 27, 2007, by Ernie Garcia.
Other News: Playland, Rye, NY
Westchester County has announced its intention to close two rides at Playland, its National Register-listed amusement park. The two rides are the Zombie Castle and Flying Witch, and are expected to be replaced with "high tech" rides. The Zombie Castle, originally called "Laff In the Dark," has been at Playland since 1934, just 6 years after the park opened. Only seven original rides remain from that year. The Flying Witch dates to 1971. The ride are scheduled for removal by November 30.
Source Article: "Vintage Playland rides face scary future." - The Journal News, July 28, 2007, by Bruce Golding.
Offsite Links: Laff in the Dark - "Save the Rails," "Flying Witch Project," "Zombie Castle."
June 1, 2007
Fire consumed a substantial portion of the
main "Kirkbride" building at the Hudson River State Hospital in
Poughkeepsie. The wing shown here in a 2005 photograph, just south of the main portion of the
building, is largely destroyed,
with damage to adjacent sections. Investigators are currently considering arson or
an electrical storm that rolled through Dutchess County the evening of May 31.
Designated a National Historic Landmark in 1990, the building was designed by
Calvert Vaux and Frederick Withers and built between 1865-1898. Hudson
Heritage acquired the site in 2005. Plans to redevelop the property have
been on hold due to a building moratorium in
the Town of Poughkeepsie. Representatives of Hudson Heritage stated that the
fire will not deter redevelopment of the site.
"Fire devours Ex-Psych Site." - The Poughkeepsie Journal, June 1, 2007, by Christine Pizzuti.
Lafayette Paper Company
Although the Lafayette Paper Company mill
in New Windsor (Orange County) is slated for demolition, an important piece of
its history will be preserved. The Connecticut Antique Machinery Association (CAMA)
has acquired the paper mill's ca. 1910, 150 horsepower, Nagle-Corliss Steam
Engine with a 12-foot flywheel, which will be housed at CAMA's Industrial Hall
in Kent, Connecticut. Many thanks to former plant employee Andy Sanchez, whose determination
to preserve the history of the mill led to this success.
More Lafayette Paper Mill:
Connecticut Antique Machinery Association website - Website has photos of the steam engine's removal and relocation.
Hudson Valley Ruins: Lafayette Paper Company
May 19, 2007
Woodlands Lake Restaurant
Westchester County recently announced
plans that the county would allow a catering business to demolish the Woodlands
Lake restaurant and build a new catering hall on the site. The new building
would be owned by Westchester County, as the land currently is; the property is
part of V. E. Macy park and adjoins the South County Trailway (former Putnam Division
railroad right-of-way.) The restaurant, built in the 1920s, is characteristic of
early parkway architecture, quite similar to the abandoned service stations at
Yonkers, including one designed by Clinton Lloyd. Landscape architect Gilmore
Clarke was responsible for much of the early designs of the Westchester County
parkways. The building last housed the restaurant La Cantina, which closed in
the early-mid 1990s. In the late 1990s, Westchester County considered adaptively-reusing
the building as a recreation center. Colonial Caterers hopes to open the new
building in 2009.
"La Cantina in Irvington could be reborn as catering hall." The Journal News, May 15, 2007, by Liz Anderson.
Chester Hide and Skin
The Chester Hide and Skin rendering plant
is in the process of being torn down for a Lowe's Home Improvement store.
Located prominently off to the side of Route 17 in Chester, NY (Orange County)
the buildings were abandoned, it seems, between 1984-1990. The facility was part
of the Frank J. Murray Company, a division of the Imperial Veal and Lamb Corporation.
The blood ponds, across what is now Route 94, have been partially filled in by
"Old rendering plant, a longtime Chester landmark, may be demolished." The Chronicle, April 17, 2007 by Pamela Chergotis.
Information from Clifton Patrick, Town of Chester Historian.
February 21, 2007
Erie Railroad Station
One more ruin disappeared from the Hudson
Valley in 2006. According to the Existing
Stations in New York State website, the Erie Railroad Station in Harriman
(Orange County) was demolished in May 2006. The Tudor-style station was built in 1911
on land donated by E. H. Harriman, a former director of the railroad, owner of a
nearby estate, and village namesake. Earlier in 2006, Harriman village building
inspector Ron Walker ordered the station's owner, Norfolk Southern, to
"remedy" the long vacant structure; Norfolk Southern followed suit by
applying for a demolition permit. Adjacent to the station site still stands a monument to Charles Minot, former General Superintendent, who sent the first train crew order by telegraph in 1851. A plaque on the monument was removed in 1979 by a railroad crew, but returned at the request of the community, until it was stolen in 1996.
February 13, 2007
It recently came to our attention that the
long-abandoned mansion built for Adelaide Browning and H. Stuart Green was
demolished, probably sometime in 2006. The elegant home stood on the Gracemere
estate, the Tarrytown hilltop home of woolen goods magnate Henry King
Browning from 1910 to 1938. He had four daughters; upon their marriages Browning built a home for
each of the newlywed couples. Three of the houses still survive as residences
today and Browning's own mansion, Gracemere Hall, is now an apartment building
owned by the Holy Spirit Association for the Unification of World Christianity
(the "Unification Church"), the same organization that owned and demolished
the Browning-Green residence. More photographs of this great little ruin can be
February 10, 2007
Red Apple Rest
The Town Board of the Town of Tuxedo
(Orange County) condemned the famed Red Apple Rest, which has been closed since
late summer of 2006. Reuben Freed opened the Red Apple Rest on Route 17 in 1931;
before the opening of the New York State Thruway (which runs behind the Red
Apple), it became a popular eatery for vacationers on their way to resorts in
the southwestern Catskills. Vacationing celebrities who reportedly stopped in to
eat include Jerry Lewis, Milton Berle, Jan Murray and New York Yankees shortstop
Phil Rizzuto. Several movies have been filmed here, including the upcoming Russell
Crowe film "Tenderness." Tuxedo Supervisor Peter Dolan referred to the "peeling
paint" and "drafty windows" as justification for the decision to condemn the
restaurant, as quoted in the Journal News. The
article did not contain information regarding a demolition schedule.
"Landmark Red Apple Rest condemned by Town Board." The Journal News, February 9, 2007, by Hema Easley.
"Stopping at Red Apple was grand tradition." The Journal News, August 31, 2006 by Bob Baird.
Anaconda Wire and Cable,
Plans for the cleanup of the Anaconda Wire
and Cable Company factory are proceeding in early 2007. Community advocates have
joined together as the "Committee to Preserve the Historic Waterfront" for
the purpose of promoting the preservation and reuse of the historic factory
buildings. The Village Board of Trustees, in authorizing the formation of the Committee,
chose to recognize only Buildings 51 and 52 (the long, low brick buildings with
sawtooth skylights as seen in the image above) as worthy of preservation.
Preservation of the Research buildings has not been offered as an option to the
The owner of the property, ARCO (Atlantic Richfield Company, a subsidiary of oil giant BP), completed a review (prepared by Hutton Associates) of the site in May 2006. The study investigated the preservation potential of Buildings 51, 52 and the Water Tower. ARCO has placed a survey on its website soliciting the community's views on what should be done with the Hastings waterfront. The survey is very brief (3 questions) and very limited in scope. But please take it and ask your friends, family, and neighbors to take is as well. The historic building report and community survey can be found on ARCO's waterfront website: http://www.oneriverstreet.com/.
Hudson Valley Ruins
E-mail Rob Yasinsac
Email Tom Rinaldi
This page and all photographs copyright © 2007 by Robert J. Yasinsac and Thomas E. Rinaldi. These photographs are posted for private, non-commercial viewing purposes only. All other uses prohibited. All rights reserved.
This page first posted to the internet on February 24, 2004.