Hudson Valley Demolition Alert
Chow Wu, the owner of Clovelea, the
Wiliam R. Sheffield House, has applied to the Village of Saugerties Historical
Review Board for an application to demolish the mansion. At a meeting
on Wednesday December 19, the board deemed the application to be
incomplete and it must be re-submitted. Alfred H. Thorpe, co-architect of
Mark Twain's Hartford, CT, mansion, designed Clovelea for William R.
Sheffield, a member of the Sheffield family, owners of a paper-mill and
other manufacturing businesses in Saugerties. Clovelea was constructed in
1882 and was occupied as a house until the 1950s when it was converted to
a hotel. It became a restaurant in the 1960s and is currently abandoned.
The carriage house formerly associated with Clovelea has been restored as a private residence.
began December 11, 2012 at Public School 6 in Yonkers. The handsome brick
structure, built in the 1890s, with a large stone arched entry was
abandoned by the City of Yonkers in the mid-late 1980s amid a
court-ordered effort to desegregate the public school system. C.
C. Chipman, architect of several schools in Yonkers, designed Public
Demolition began Friday November 23,
2012 at Teaberry Port, a 1770s stone house in West Nyack (Rockland
County), NY. In the 1940s and 1950s, the Ming Tea Company occupied the
house as an office. The United Water Company later acquired the house
along with the adjacent Spring Valley Water Works. The Town of Clarkstown
leased the house from United Water, and in turn rented out the house as a
single family home. Teaberry Port has been vacant since about 2005.
The Nathan's Famous Hot Dog restaurant
on Central Avenue in Yonkers, NY, the company's third location, will close on November
25, 2012. The building will be demolished and Nathan's will erect a
smaller restaurant at the same location. The reports don't specify the
fate of the large neon signs but given industry trends it is likely they
will be destroyed as well.
Another historic home in Yorktown
will be demolished. One year after the Strang-Melbourne
House (c. 1812) was razed, the Knapp House on Old Crompond Road is
going to be leveled by the developers of a commercial-residential house
project known as Crompond Crossing. The Knapp family acquired the site in
1762. The exact date of construction of the house has not been ascertained
but the Knapp House is believed to be an 18th-century structure, according
de Laperouse. Demolition is expected to occur this week and may
already have begun.
Following a substantial collapse
over the winter of 2011/2012, this Shingle-style building was demolished
this year. It served as a retreat of the Fresh Air Association of St. John,
Inc. The Fresh Air Home provided summer vacation periods for children and
for mothers with infants, primarily from New York City.
Dutchess County Executive Marc
Molinaro recently signed an order that condemned the historic Nelson House
hotel in downtown Poughkeepsie (at center in aerial
view here). Last used as county offices, the county will now spend
1.75 million dollars to demolish the building. The Nelson House opened in
1876 and is the third hotel to operate on the site since the Revolutionary
War. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's White House staffers set up
their headquarters in the Nelson House when FDR visited his home in
neighboring Hyde Park (approximately 200 times during the course of his
presidency). The hotel closed in 1969. Dutchess County used the building
for offices until about 1996, after which it emptied the building and left
it abandoned. The
oldest part of the hotel was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the
neighboring county office building, but the neo-Classical style, six-story
expansion dating from 1925 and part of the nineteenth century hotel have
The owner of what is believed to be
Beacon's oldest surviving mill building has applied for a demolition
permit as part of the 1
East Main Street redevelopment project. In 1811 John Jacob Astor, Peter A. Schenck, and
Philip A. Hone formed a cotton mill concern which operated out of the
front portion of the building shown above, which bears a cornerstone dated
1814. Various textiles, hats, and other manufactured products were made
here through the 1960s. The Three Star Anodizing company operated here
through the 1970s at least. A train derailment in 1976 destroyed the
mill's stair tower. The mill is currently among a number of properties
owned and disused for years by William Ehrlich. This year, a mill formerly
held by Ehrlich was redeveloped by Robert
McAlpine as a hotel and restaurant known as the Roundhouse
at Beacon Falls.
A little-known house that likely
dated to the early 1700s burned down on August 29, 2012. The fire was set
by four teenage boys, all of whom have been charged with arson and are
scheduled to appear in family court or town court. The house was last
occupied by the Kospa family about 2006.
Demolition of the Rock Hill Lodge
buildings, later known as the Holland Sporting Club, began on or about
July 9, 2012. The Town of Yorktown carried out the demolition work.
Following a request
to remove or repair the abandoned Millwood station of the New York
Central - Putnam Divison, the owner demolished the building on May 9,
The Middle Hope Drive In Theater,
located just north of Newburgh, NY, was demolished to make way for a gas
station. Scroll over the image of the theater for a photograph of the site
in May 2012. The land cleared for the enormous station takes up much of
the parking site of the drive in theater. The screen location has not been
redeveloped. A clever reuse of the site would have repaired the screen and
reused it is a billboard, be it painted or projected.
Recently we learned that this
mid-19th century house at Verplanck's Point in Westchester County has been
demolished. The house was abandoned when photographed by Tom Rinaldi about
2004 or 2005. By 2009, it was boarded up and its roof covered in tarp.
Today the site is an empty lot. When another nearby house of similar
vintage was razed in 2001, the story made the New
This c. 1850 mansion overlooking the
Hudson River in Dobbs Ferry was demolished in early April, 2012. In recent
years it housed the restaurant Rudy's Beau Rivage. Rudy's closed in 2009
and house was sold in
2011. It was gutted and additions were torn down,
and a new restaurant called Windows on the Hudson was to open in the
historic mansion. Work ceased shortly after pre-renovation demolition work
occurred, caused by financial shortcomings on the part of the new owner,
and the building was abandoned. Thanks to Jeff Alterman for the tip..
The New Lebanon School district is
proceeding with demolition of the vacant Lebanon Springs Union Free School
in northeastern Columbia County. The school was built in 1913 and is listed on the National
Register of Historic Places. Thanks to reader Chris Bishop for the tip.
Plateau Associates of Pleasantville,
NY, has presented a plan to the Village of Ossining for a seven-story
residential building on the site of the 1872 French Second Empire style
building of the Brandreth Pill Factory. Constructed for the production of
Allcock's Porous Plasters, the building had recently been considered for
reuse by the same developer. The current plan calls for its outright
demolition. The 1872 building is listed, along with other nearby factory
structures, on the National Register of Historic Places as part of the
larger Brandreth Pill factory site.
Also in Ossining, the Elks Club, the former Bella Vista mansion, is planned for
demolition and replacement with a 25-unit apartment building.