Hudson Valley Demolition Alert
November 25, 2008
The demolition of the Lovett Generating
Station in Tomkins Cove (Rockland County) has been on-going since April 2008. on
Tuesday November November 25 at 10:00am, the 475-foot tall smokestack is
set to come tumbling down.
"Neighbors nervous about demolition. " By Akiko Matsuda, The Journal News. November 23, 2008.
Photograph from Microsoft Virtual Earth / Live Search Maps.
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#lovett
November 17, 2008
Carvel Ice Cream Bakery,
America's first Carvel ice cream stand
closed its doors for good at the end of the business day Sunday October 5, 2008.
still stands, but will soon be demolished. The ice cream "bakery"
consists of two structures. As seen in the photograph above, the left-half of
the building may contain all or part of the original Carvel stand, which
opened in 1934. The steel and glass storefront at right was built in the 1950s.
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#Carvel2008
November 17, 2008
Poughkeepsie's Trinity Methodist Episcopal
Church and Rectory (1891) burned on Thursday October 30, 2008, leaving
behind ruined walls and rubble. The church was listed on the National Register
of Historic places in 1982. It was most recently owned by the River Church
congregation. Photograph from Microsoft Virtual Earth / Live Search Maps.
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#RiverChurch
October 27, 2008
Yonkers Health Center,
A 1930 art-deco civic building faces
demolition under a massive redevelopment of downtown Yonkers. Built in 1930 as
the Yonkers Health Center and designed by Yonkers native William P. Katz, this
building at 87 Nepperhan Avenue (adjacent to City Hall) currently houses city
government offices. An application for city landmark status is pending, but both
the developer, Struever Fidelco Cappelli, and Yonkers Mayor Philip Amicone have
spoken against landmark status. The Yonkers Health Center is slated to be
replaced by a garage, echoing the now-largely dismissed schemes of 1970s Urban
Renewal. According to a recent article in the Journal News, Mayor Amicone stated
that the Health Center site must be used for a garage, implying that the entire
redevelopment scheme hinges on this one parcel.
UPDATE, NOVEMBER 17: In early November, the Yonkers City Council voted against local landmark designation for the Yonkers Health Center. The building will be demolished.
"Yonkers mayor and developer fighting building preservation effort. " By Len Maniace, The Journal News. October 20, 2008.
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#health
September 12, 2008
On September 9, 2008, the last standing
structure on David's Island, a water tower that served Fort Slocum, was pulled
down by the United States Army Corps of Engineers which carried out the complete
demolition of approximately ninety structures on the island. About 25
structures were standing as of late 2007, when the New Rochelle City Council
voted to demolish all remaining structures, despite interest from members of the
community who wished that some buildings would be preserved.
"Last silhouette falls on Davids Island" By Theresa Juva, The Journal News. September 10, 2008.
More Fort Slocum, Davids Island:
Hudson Valley Ruins - Rob Yasinsac
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#davids2
August 21, 2008
Centennial Hose Company
Centennial Hose Company Firehouse in Peekskill collapsed today during an effort
to move the brick building across Water Street. About five feet of the lower
portion of the entire building was shorn off and the building was set on jacks.
After being moved out a few feet from its original foundation, the building sat
on the jacks for about a week before the attempt to move the structure was
Photograph courtesy of Rob Casasanta, who took the photo on Friday August 15, when the firehouse was jacked up.
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#centennial2
July 19, 2008
Vineyard Avenue Fire Station near Ashburton Avenue in Yonkers was demolished in
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#vineyard
May 30, 2008
Rensselaer Iron Works,
The Rensselaer Iron Works, dating to 1846, on Madison Street in Troy was
demolished Monday after a fire broke out in the building on Sunday May 26. The
property was most recently used as a scrap metal recycling facility. One of the
Rensselaer Iron Works' claims to fame is that it manufactured rivets and iron bar for the USS Monitor in
the Civil War.
"Demolition begins at ironworks." By Cathleen Crowley, The Albany Times Union. May 27, 2008.
Photograph from Microsoft Virtual Earth/Live Search Maps. Thanks to Ken Greene for the information.
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#troy
May 27, 2008
Powell and Minnock
The six steel kiln sheds and the gantry
crane shown in this
image, once ubiquitous and iconic features of the Hudson River shoreline, were demolished over the winter of 2007-2008, we have just learned. The
Powell and Minnock Brick Company was the last brick manufacturer operating on
the Hudson River when it closed for good in late 2001; the Albany County site was one of the last two remaining intact
brick works on the river. The
sheds, which housed scove kilns, were built by the firm of Sutton and Sudderly.
Powell and Minnock moved a mile or so south from its original yard, also in
Coeymans, and took over
the Sutton and Sudderly plant in 1963. Two tunnel kiln sheds at the site, built by Powell and
Minnock, survive as does a brick barn that was likely built as a coal storage
shed. P & M Brick Marine Terminal, which demolished the
steel kiln sheds,
operates out of the brickyard now. The destruction of the Powell and Minnock
site leaves the abandoned Hutton Company Brick Works in Kingston as the sole surviving
example of a nearly intact brick yard on the Hudson River.
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#pmbrick
More Powell & Minnock Brick:
BrickCollecting.com - Don Bayley's site
Hudson Valley Ruins: Forgotten Landmarks of an American Landscape
May 3, 2008
UPDATE: The rock quarry company
Tilcon has been renovating an 18th-century home uphill from its operations in
central Rockland County. In 2006, a company spokesperson stated that the house
was "uninhabitable" and "infeasible to refurbish," leading
to concern that the house would be demolished. Due to community opposition
to demolition, Tilcon decided to keep and renovate the building and the company
will rent it out to employees for housing. Storms Tavern is believed to have
been built in 1765. (Thanks to Eric in Rockland for the update.)
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#storms
Original Entry: March 4, 2006
April 24, 2008
The village of Hastings-on-Hudson recently
partly destroyed and partly buried buried the remains of the steamboat Lancaster during the creation
of a new riverfront park. A small remnant of the boat is still visible at
low tide. Built in 1892, the Lancaster was brought to New York in 1924
and abandoned about 1928. It later became a shad fishing camp known as "Capt.
Popp's fish house," which ceased operation in the
1960s.Although celebrated on the village's "Museum in the Streets"
signs, the actual boat was apparently forgotten about, or simply deemed not
worthy of inclusion in the new park.
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#lancaster
Hudson Valley Ruins - Rob Yasinsac
WARBURTON AVENUE BLOCK UPDATE:
At its April 22 meeting, the Yonkers City Council voted in favor of designating the Manor House Square a historic landmark district. The Greyston Foundation will work to preserve the previously-threatened Warburton Avenue block into its plans for the site.
Original Entry: February 1, 2008
April 17, 2008
Next week, the Town of Marlborough will
begin demolition of the Kedem Winery storage building in Milton, on the Hudson River in
Ulster County. The Town acquired the property as a donation in 1999; Marlborough
will use funds from a
New York State Department of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation grant
to pay for demolition of the winery building and redevelopment of the land as a
public park. Demolition should be completed in June.
UPDATE: Demolition was in-progress as of early July, 2008.
"Building to make way for park." By Greg Marano, The Poughkeepsie Journal. April 17, 2008.
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#kedem
February 2, 2008
The New Rochelle City Council voted
unanimously on December 4, 2007, in favor of demolishing all remaining
structures on David's Island. The 78-acre island one-half mile off the shore of
mainland New Rochelle was developed as a Civil War hospital and became known as
Fort Slocum in the 1870s, serving eventually as a recruitment center, training
school, Air Force Base and a Nike Missile Control Base. Fort Slocum closed in
1965. Since then, redevelopment plans including housing and a nuclear power
plant, have all come and gone. The United States Army Corps of Engineers has
demolished many buildings in the past few years, and it seemed as if a small
number of structures were going to be preserved. The recent City Council vote
came as the city did not want to bear any responsibility for preservation and
maintenance of the structures.
UPDATE: About 5-7 structures remained as of late June, 2008. Demolition is still underway and is expected to be completed by this fall.
UPDATE 2: All buildings at David's Island / Fort Slocum have been demolished as of September 9, 2008.
"All buildings on Davids Island to go." By Ken Valenti, The Journal News. February 2, 2008
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#davids
February 1, 2008
February 1, 2008
Warburton Avenue Block,
An intact block of 19th-century buildings
in Yonkers is threatened by a proposal for a high-rise apartment building. The
buildings are lcoated directly across from Philipse Manor Hall State Historic
Site, and the
Greyston Foundation wants to raze the north half of the block to build a
16-story, 108-unit condominium tower. Ironically, Greyston has preserved two
other buildings in downtown Yonkers but does not want to take that approach for
"Yonkers historic district may derail Greyston's condo high-rise." By Ernie Garica, The Journal News. December 17, 2007.
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#warblock
UPDATE: At its April 22 meeting, the Yonkers City Council voted in favor of designating the Manor House Square a historic landmark district. The Greyston Foundation will work to preserve the previously-threatened Warburton Avenue block into its plans for the site.
January 25, 2008
Centennial Hose Company
The New York State Department of
Transportation plans to demolish the Centennial Hose firehouse at the corner of
Central Avenue and Water Street by June 1. The DOT owns the building and wants
the building demolished in order to plant pylons for a new Route 9 bridge, to replace
the overpass seen in the photograph here. The City of Peekskill has earmarked one
million dollars for the preservation of the firehouse, and a group of
preservationists would like to move the building across the street, adjacent to
the restored New York Central Railroad freight station, popularly known as the
"Lincoln Depot" (Abraham Lincoln gave a speech in front of an earlier
station on that spot). The Centennial Hose firehouse was built in 1890 (the fire
company was formed in 1876) and abandoned in 1977.
"Time running out for historic Peekskill firehouse." The Journal News, January 16, 2007, by Robert Marchant.
Link to this entry: http://www.hudsonvalleyruins.org/alert/2008.html#centennial
UPDATE: The firehouse collapsed August 21 during an effort to move the building.
Hudson Valley Ruins
E-mail Rob Yasinsac
Email Tom Rinaldi
This page and all photographs, unless otherwise noted, copyright © 2008 by Robert J. Yasinsac and Thomas E. Rinaldi. These photographs are posted for private, non-commercial viewing purposes only. All other uses prohibited. All rights reserved.
This page first posted to the internet on February 24, 2004.