Hudson Valley Demolition Alert
January 26, 2017
illegal, demolition in early 2015, the 1872 building of the
Brandreth Pill factory was demolished in March of 2016. Several other
Brandreth buildings remain standing, but the neglect and subsequent
demolition of the main factory building is a particularly egregious
example of the disregard for historic architecture of the Hudson Valley.
The Brandreth site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places
as an early example of significant industrial architecture in Westchester
County. The Brandreth factory, last occupied in the 1990s by a maker of
camping equipment, was a especially pleasant sight for passengers on
Metro-North Hudson Line trains, which passed in front of the building.
Belated entry for the Matteawan Company Mill,
what had been Beacon's oldest surviving mill building. The three-story
stone structure, at right, was built ca. 1811 by the Matteawan Company for
the manufacture of cotton textiles. Various textiles, hats, and other
manufactured products were made here through the 1960s. The Three Star
Anodizing Company operated here through the 1970s at least. A train
derailment in 1976 destroyed the mill's stair tower. The brick structure
at left was built in the early 20th century and is undergoing renovations
to luxury loft
apartments. About the time of construction of the Matteawan
mill, similar stone mill buildings were also built in Pleasant Valley and nearby at
Glenham (Fishkill); all have been demolished.
The Poughkeepsie Journal reported this week that
the first phase of demolition, for five structures, has begun at the
Hudson River State Hospital property. The first building to come down was
Building #61 (pictured, a staff house), that was damaged by fire in 2010.
The site is very active now with demolition work and remediation work, and
construction of commercial buildings and residential units will occur in
phases over the next 8-10 years. Buildings that are being preserved for
reuse are the administration building (main/central portion of the
Kirkbride building), Director's house, library, amusement hall/theater,
Kingston Mayor Steve Noble has placed a temporary
hold on the planned demolition of the 19th-century Nathaniel Booth House,
located in the Rondout section of Kingston.The house, built of bluestone
from local stone yards, was targeted by the city’s Unsafe Building
Demolition program, which has demolished a number of older, vacant, homes
over the past year or two. Kingston Alderman Brad Will suggested to Noble
that the house be stabilized until a future owner could disassemble the
house and rebuild it elsewhere.
The New York Central and Hudson River Railroad
Maintenance Shop at Harmon (Croton-on-Hudson) is undergoing substantial
demolition and reconstruction. The work will include demolition and replacement of the eastern side of the Harmon Main Shop Building with a two-track, 10-car double-ended Consist Shop; demolition of the Blowshed Building, and demolition of the existing Recycling Center Facility.
The Barracks, once part of the Mohegan Lake Boys
School, a military academy that was located on Lake Mohegan, recently was
demolished. In recent years it was an apartment house known as the London
Apartments. The property is likely slated for commercial redevelopment. A
barn on an adjacent property, formerly the estate of William Bradhurst
Osgood Field, will likely be demolished as well.