Hudson Valley Ruins
April 5, 2017 at 7:30pm
Ferry Sloops meeting at Shattemuc Yacht Club, Ossining
In an effort to raise awareness for the plight of neglected historic sites, Hudson Valley Ruins authors and photographers, Robert Yasinsac and Thomas Rinaldi, will offer a glimpse at some of the region’s forgotten cultural treasures on Wednesday, April 5 at 7:30pm, Shattemuc Yacht Club in Ossining.
Many of these buildings are listed on the National Register of Historical Places, and a few are even National Historical Landmarks. But in spite of their significance, these structures have been allowed to decay, and in some cases, to disappear altogether. In addition to great river estates, this presentation profiles sites more meaningful to everyday life in the Valley: Churches and hotels, commercial and civic buildings, mills and train stations. Included in the presentation will be a series of images of Ossining-area ruins.
Thomas Rinaldi and Robert Yasinsac have been photographing the Hudson Valley since 1994. Their book “Hudson Valley Ruins: Forgotten Landscape of America” was published in 2006 by the University Press of New England. An exhibition of their work is on display at the New York State Museum through December 31, 2017.
This event is presented by Ferry Sloops and will be held at the Shattemuc Yacht Club, Westerly Road, Ossining, NY 10562. Free admission, public are welcome.
Pictured: LCI (L) 766 / Circle Line IX (demolished)
Built in 1944, this Landing Craft Infantry vessel served at Iwo Jima and Okinawa to ferry troops from sea to the beach.
It later served as a Day Line, and then Circle Line, sight-seeing boat. Purchased for scrap, it was relocated to the Shattemuc Yacht Club where it became part of the club’s rebuilt breakwater and auxiliary clubhouse. It has since been razed to the waterline.
Hudson Valley Ruins
Sunday April 9, at 2:00pm
Friends of Historic Kingston Annual Meeting
Old Dutch Church, Kingston
The Friends of Historic Kingston invite you to attend its annual meeting in the Old Dutch Church’s Bethany Hall on Sunday, April 9th, 2017 at 2 pm. Please use the Wall Street entrance. Free admission, public are welcome.
After the annual meeting, Thomas Rinaldi and Robert Yasinsac will present a lecture entitled, “Hudson Valley Ruins.” The pair have authored a book, Hudson Valley Ruins: Forgotten Landmarks of an American Landscape, which studies the region’s forgotten cultural treasures. In addition to great river estates, the book profiles sites more meaningful to everyday life in the Valley: churches and hotels, commercial and civic buildings, mills and train stations. Included are works by some of the most important names in American architectural history, such as Alexander Jackson Davis and Calvert Vaux. Mr. Yasinsac and Mr. Rinaldi will be available after the lecture to sign copies of their book.
Questions? 845.339.0720 – www.fohk.org
Pictured: Pieter-Corneliessen Louw House, Kingston.
Also known as the Louw-Bogardus House, or the “Frog Alley ruin,” the Louw house may be the oldest substantial ruin in the Hudson Valley. The eastern section of the house was likely built about 1676, while the western portion was probably added in the eighteenth century.The house burned in the early 1960s and was subsequently threatened with demolition by the Kingston Urban Renewal Agency. The Friends of Historic Kingston acquired the property and at times various steps have been taken to stabilize the ruin. Further work is necessary to ensure the long-term preservation of this important ruin.
Friendly reminder that our exhibition “Hudson Valley Ruins” remains on display at the New York State Museum through December 31, 2017. It has been on display for six months, with eight months to go. Don’t miss it!
New York State Museum
Cultural Education Center
222 Madison Avenue
Albany, NY 12230
Tuesday – Sunday, 9:30 AM – 5 PM
Closed Independence Day, Thanksgiving,
Christmas, and New Year’s Day