Bella Vista / Elks Lodge
May 28, 2004
Once owned by the
Carpenter family, this fine Italianate-style house known as Bella Vista
was built in 1867, around the time that the Italianate became a popular style
for country estates. Sanborn maps for Ossining show the house as the
"Elk's Home" as early as 1924. The Elks (BPOE 1486) built
additions throughout the 20th-century, including an assembly hall
attached to the rear of the mansion. Aluminum or vinyl siding was also
added, brackets were removed, and the northwest-facing porch was
enclosed. Such alterations did not hide the fine form of the house nor
preclude the possibility of restoration.
The house and 1.34 acres were sold (by the Elks?) for 1.4 million
dollars in 2004, and the building
first appeared on the Hudson
Valley Ruins Demolition Alert as there were plans to redevelop
the site as seniors housing. No work occurred at the site for the rest
of the decade but those plans appeared to be moving forward in 2012.
That year the house was used for fire
department exercises, a sure sign that this building would
be destroyed. Bella Vista was demolished on April 13, 2014, one day
before the Brandreth Pill Factory was partly-demolished.
Above and all below: February
Elk's Lodge Photographs - Post-demolition
Posted April 17, 2015
of America - Ossining Remembered. The Ossining Historical
Daily Voice - January 27, 2012.
Estate Data -
Ossining Historical Society facebook page - Demolition
This page copyright ©
2015 by Robert J. Yasinsac. All rights reserved.
Reproducing or copying photographs without the permission of Robert J.
Yasinsac is prohibited.