Known first as "the Grove" and then as the Loretto Rest, this house was long associated with one of the village's most important institutions. Architect Richard Upjohn designed the mansion in 1853 for Dr. Frederick Lente, surgeon at the nearby West Point Foundry. (Upjohn himself lived and is buried a Garrison, a few miles to the south.) In 2002 a developer purchased the mansion and subdivided the property for the construction of new homes. Fortunately the house itself was donated to the village of Cold Spring. Plans are now being drawn for its restoration.
© T.E. Rinaldi, 2006