The ferry boat Beacon lies abandoned about 75 miles away from its namesake city, at Rossville, Staten Island. The boat was built as the Lieutenant Flaherty for Boston Harbor service in 1921. In the late 1930s she came to Beacon to serve on the ferry crossing to Newburgh. Re-named for the route's eastern terminus, the Beacon served until the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge put the ferry out of business in 1963.
© T.E. Rinaldi, 2007